TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: picked up teac a2300sd  (Read 3809 times)

Offline njbob

• View Profile
picked up teac a2300sd
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:58:28 am »
i got this thing for 140 bucks and it works. i haven't used a rtr in over 20 years. i bought a few pre-recorded tapes just to test it and so far so good. nice dynamic range and i can really here some low bass tones.

i have a few newby questions
its a two track so what would happen if try and play a pre-recorded 4track tape.
whats a good new tape to buy i figure i can start recording off my digital music channels or records. i see lots of maxell 35 series tape on ebay. i know about ampex 456 or 457- 7'' only machine

also is their any web sites or places to buy music
i guess i just bought this thing for nostalgic reasons, i needed another piece of audio equipment like a hole in my head, i really didn't expect to get it so cheap. so since i have it i might as well use it
and any tips suggestions are welcome. I'm an audiophile and music junkie
thanks
bob

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: picked up teac a2300sd
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:21:31 pm »
You'll have problems playing 4-track stereo tapes on a two-track machine, as the heads' will pick-up the reverse-sides' track.  I've been dubbing from a 4-track Technics to 2-track machines.

As for tape, you should stick with fresh tape if possible.  Quantegy's just gone out of business and EMTEC is starting to sell tape.  911 is supposed to compatible with 456, but you should get your machine serviced and biased for what ever tape your going to be using for best results....

Hope that helps...Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...